Something like 1% of the American population has ever been on the top of the capitol building. I am happy to say I am one of them. The congressman had a few special guests he took on a dome tour today, Lindsay (the other intern) and I got to go along. It was AMAZING!!!!! The scariest part by far is looking down from the walkway into the rotunda which is approximately one statue of liberty below.
To go on a dome tour you have to have a member of congress go with you. On the way up you wind around the inside of the rotunda and take a lot of stairs. At one point the interior dome separates from the exterior dome. So for part of the trip we traveled between the walls. The dome is made of 9million pounds of cast Iron and is bolted to its own special foundation. At one point we popped back into the dome right below the apotheosis of Washington. Then we went back between the walls and the next stop was the walkway around the top of the dome just below the windows that lady freedom sits on. Talk about an amazing view!
Here are the pictures of the dome tour:
Due to the hour I'm not going to go into detail but some thoughts that I really need to hit the next post.
Bailout- size/scope, compared to Marshall Plan and the New Deal
Economics- Why tax cuts are better than spending
Who was actually on the dome tour
Beer- Flavor shortages
The Washington/Home state disconnect or lack there of
Politicians don't work
Check out these two news items:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/04/MNV415MGLA.DTL
http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0209/Cooper_Obama_staff_encouraged_defiance_of_Pelosi.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment